Monday, March 10, 2008

Engaged!

My good friend, Lindsay, got engaged this past weekend in California! I'm so excited about her upcoming nuptials, as my mother and I will be assisting with a lot of the planning for the wedding! I'm so happy for Lindsay and Matt, and I know they will have a beautiful future together!

Speaking of engagements, it is a pet peeve of mine (being obsessed with etiquette and all), when someone says "Congratulations!" to a bride. Old etiquette will tell you that you tell the bride "Best wishes," and you extend a "Congratulations" to the groom (most commonly done in a receiving line at a wedding). I know it may seem silly and trivial, but whenever a friend gets engaged, I always send her my best wishes!

Saying congratulations to a bride implies that she has won something - her groom. The groom is to be congratulated for getting the lady to accept his marriage proposal. To avoid controversy, many people just extend their best wishes to the bride and the groom!

Just a little etiquette to brighten your day!

6 comments:

Mrs.Preppy said...

I agree. I always make sure I say the correct greeting to the correct person. I am a stickler for those things.

Jessica N. Condatore said...

I'm with mrs. preppy. I love the idea of this blog - fabulous!

Jessica N. Condatore said...

I loved this post so much, I blogged it at The Love List's Weeekend Roundup! http://love-list.blogspot.com

Raina Dawn Events said...

I would love to get your email Miss Etiquette! I own newportweddingglam.com and thought you might be interested in being a featured etiquette blogger! Email me at raina@nwglam.com love to chat with you! Raina

Jewellers Dublin said...

Love the post, great idea for a blog and wish you the best anf with engagement. From Engagement Rings

Stephen J Alexander said...

To congratulate means to express a shared sense of gratitude or joy - straight out of Latin. Nothing to do with conquest, regardless of gender, OK? That sense of the word exists, of course, but if you mean it that way in this context toward the bride OR groom, you're just doing it wrong.

Congratulations are appropriate for either, if you're doing it right.